1. What’s your name, and do you also have a pen name? Laurie Starkey. Yes! Ali Parker.
2. What types of books do you write? (Include aspirations and/or publication history) I write contemporary and new adult romance, YA, Urban Fantasy and Mystery/Suspense.
3. Do you hide any secrets in your books that only a few people will find? I do on later books in a series where someone that's read other series or connected universes will yelp, 'Hey! I know those guys or YES... there's what I was looking for!"
4. What is your strategy for finding time to write and edit? I use to be able to write anywhere and for hours. As I've gotten older and the business side of writing has taken a front seat, it's gotten A LOT harder. So recently, we bit the bullet and got me a we-work office in downtown Nashville that's JUST for writing fiction. Not a word of business in there!
5. What one thing would you give up to become a better writer? Sleep, and I LOVE sleep. :)
6. How do you think being a writer has helped you as a person? It helps me to see the world from a much broader view. My readers help with that so much too. When you think you're just writing make-believe, someone will send you a note and tell you how you spoke right to them or told the story of their lives. It connects me to others in a deeper way and that makes me live like people I don't even know matter. Cause they do.
7. When you’re not writing, what do you like to do instead? I'm a crafter through and through. I love crochet. And I love playing the piano and spending time with the handsome hubster.
8. What are some of your favorite movies, tv shows, and books? GOT, Grease and Chances Are, and Books --- I love all Paranormal romance honestly.
9. Where do you want to meet everyone for dinner? North Italiana in Nashville. That place IS SO GOOD. Totally a hidden gem.
10. Do you have any special skills or knowledge bases that writers in our chapter can come to you to learn about for their books? I'm a CPA by trade, and I have a masters in Theology. I'm a full-time writer, and most of my family works for the production side of the company, so I could help as a self-publisher too if people have questions about that!
11. Is there anything, in particular, you’re hoping to learn/improve as a member of RWA and MCRW? Just looking to make friends, add value and fall in love with writing even more because most of you guys are in love with it, and that is contagious.
12. What does literary success look like to you? Having a reader send me a note that my story touched them, helped them get through something or even better - re-instilled hope in them that love is alive and well.
13. Tell us an MCRW-exclusive secret! I'm a first draft writer only. I haven't written a second draft a day in my life. I'm going to try and much more refined process with my newest series, but it's worked thus far. And... I've tested out FLOW. It's alive and well too. Two years ago I wrote a 47K word novel in 24 hours. FLOW. ALL THANKS to flow! Ha. :)
Copyright © 2020 Music City Romance Writers of America - All Rights Reserved.